In the case of an emergency, it is important to know the location of the water shut-off valve for your home. If you are unable to locate or operate the shut-off valve in your home, another alternative is to operate the water main valve in the alley, easement or near the street to turn off water to your home.
- Screw Driver
- Crescent Wrench
Water Off at Meter (PDF Version)
- Locate your water meter. Water meters are typically installed inside meter boxes with a lid marked water and placed behind your property in the alley or easement. In a few cases it might be in the front of your property behind the curb of the street.
- Remove the metal lid of the meter box. A standard screw driver can be used to help lift the lid.
- On the side away from your property, locate the oblong knob just below the elbow. This is the main shut-off valve.
- To turn water off, use a crescent wrench to turn the valve a quarter turn.
- In some cases you may have a valve located just behind the meter. In this cases turn the valve a quarter turn until the holes line up. If the valve has an arrow on it, turn it a half turn until the arrow is pointing away from your property.
- If the valve has not been operated in a long time, it could be locked up. Whatever you do, DO NOT FORCE THE VALVE. If it will not turn with a reasonable amount of pressure, call the City Water Distribution Department at 378-6824 or Utility Billing at 378-3030 for a meter representative to turn off the water at the meter for you.
If your emergency occurs after hours, call 378-6824 or 378-3019.